Loss is an inevitable part of life. It could be the loss of a pet, the end of a relationship or loss of a loved one, the loss of a friend, the loss of a child, the loss of a parent or even our health.
No matter the type of loss, one thing that’s certain is that it’s never easy. The emotional response and grieving process can be intense and have a profound effect on our mental and emotional health. It is a tough thing to go through no matter who you are.
While loss is a natural part of life, you do not need to go through this time alone.
We have compiled 100 quotes about loss and grief to provide you with some support and help you process the recent loss in your life.
- Quotes About Losing a Loved One
- Quotes About the Loss of a Friendship (or Loss of a Friend)
- Quotes About the Loss of a Child
- Quotes About the Loss of a Pet
- Quotes About the Loss of a Mother
- Quotes About the Loss of a Father
- Quotes for the Loss of a Brother
- Quotes for the Loss of a Sister
- Quotes About Love and Loss
Quotes About Losing a Loved One
Losing a loved one, no matter who they are, is painful. These meaningful quotes embody what it means and feels to lose someone or something close to your heart.
- “To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die.” – Thomas Campell
- “When someone you love becomes a memory, the memory becomes a treasure.” – Unknown
- “Unable are the loved to die. For love is immortality.” – Emily Dickinson
- “Perhaps they are not the stars, but rather openings in Heaven where the love of our lost ones pours through and shines down upon us to let us know they are happy.” – Unknown
- “If the people we love are stolen from us, the way to have them live on is to never stop loving them.” – The Crow, written by James O’Barr, David J. Schow, and John Shirley
- “Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It’s the transition that’s troublesome.” – Isaac Asimov
- “Those we love never truly leave us. There are things that death cannot touch.” – Jack Thorne
- “What we have once enjoyed we can never lose; all that we deeply love becomes a part of us.” – Helen Keller
- “Remember that people are only guests in your story – the same way you are only a guest in theirs – so make the chapters worth reading.” – Lauren Klarfeld
- “We understand death only after it has placed its hands on someone we love.” – Anne L. de Stael
- “Death – the last sleep? No, it is the final awakening.” – Sir Walter Scott
- “The sorrow we feel when we lose a loved one is the price we pay to have had them in our lives.” – Rob Liano
Quotes about Loss of a Friendship (or Loss of a Friend)
Friendship can be a fluid thing and these relationships don’t always last the test of time. With that said, the loss of the friend hurts whether it is on purpose, accidental, or by no one’s fault at all. These quotes express the feeling of losing a friendship or a friend.
- “To lose a friend is the greatest of all losses.” – Unknown
- “Friendship is delicate as a glass, once broken it can be fixed but there will always be cracks.” – Waqar Ahmed
- “The worst pain in the world goes beyond the physical. Even further beyond any other emotional pain one can feel. It is the betrayal of a friend.” – Heather Brewer
- “You meet people who forget you. You forget people you meet. But sometimes you meet those people you can’t forget. Those are your friends.” – Unknown
- “It is far better to be alone, than to be in bad company.” – George Washington
- “Friendship is like a glass ornament, once it is broken, it can rarely be put back together in exactly the same way.” – Charles Kingsley
- “The worst solitude is to be destitute of sincere friendship.” – Sir Francis Bacon
- “We can’t feel the loss of a friend until they are apart from us.” – Debolina
- “Friendship means understanding, not agreement. It means forgiveness, not forgetting. It means the memories last, even if contact is lost.” – Unknown
- “Some people aren’t loyal to you. They are loyal to their needs of you. Once their needs change, so does their loyalty.” – Unknown
- “Don’t feel sad over someone who gave up on you, feel sorry for them because they gave up on someone who would have never given up on them.” – Frank Ocean
- “It hurt because it mattered.” – John Green
- “In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.” – Martin Luther King, Jr.
Quotes about the Loss of a Child
There are no words for the loss of a child that will soothe or mend a broken heart. However, these quotes about the loss of a child, attempt to give context to the myriad of emotions that come with this kind of loss.
- “There’s no tragedy in life like the death of a child. Things never get back to the way they were.” – Dwight D. Eisenhower
- “There is no footprint too small to leave an imprint on this world.” – Unknown
- “Just as it is impossible to explain childbirth to a woman who has never given birth, it is impossible to explain child loss to a person who has never lost a child.” – Lynda Cheldlin Fell
- “This was how to help a family who has just lost their child. Wash the clothes, make soup. Don’t ask them what they need, bring them what they need. Keep them warm. Listen to them rant, and cry, and tell their story over and over.” – Ann Hood
- “We bereaved are not alone. We belong to the largest company in all the world — the company of those who have known suffering.” – Helen Keller
- “We never truly get over a loss, but we can move forward and evolve from it.” – Elizabeth Berrien
- “No one ever told me that grief felt so like fear.” – C.S. Lewis
- “In the English language there are orphans and widows, but there is no word for the parents who lose a child.” – Jodi Picoult, My Sister’s Keeper
- “When our children die, we drop them into the unknown, shuddering with fear. We know that they go out from us, and we stand, and pity, and wonder.” – Henry Ward Beecher
- “Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal.” – Unknown
- “Just because we lost a life, doesn’t mean we have to lose ourselves.” – Tamara Gabriel
- “The weird, weird thing about devastating loss is that life actually goes on. When you’re faced with a tragedy, a loss so huge that you have no idea how you can live through it, somehow, the world keeps turning, the seconds keep ticking.” – James Patterson
Quotes about the Loss of a Pet
For many, pets are a part of the family and are loved just the same. As the loss of a pet can be devastating, here are some special quotes about the furry friends no longer with us.
- “There is no grief like the grief that does not speak.” – Henry Wordsworth
- “Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.” – Anatole France
- “Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.” – Mark Twain
- “If having a soul means being able to feel love and loyalty and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans.” – James Herriot
- “Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.” – Roger Caras
- “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” – Will Rogers
- “No heaven will not ever Heaven be. Unless my cats are there to welcome me.” – Unknown
- “The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven, not man’s.” – Mark Twain
- “Dogs…do not ruin their sleep worrying about how to keep the objects they have, and to obtain the objects they have not. There is nothing of value they have to bequeath except their love and their faith.” – Eugene O’Neill, from his Dalmatian’s last will and testament
- “A pet is never truly forgotten until it is no longer remembered.” – Lacie Petitto
- “It is a fearful thing to love what death can touch.” – Unknown
- “If I have any beliefs about immortality it is that certain dogs I know will go to heaven, and very very few people.” – Jame Thurber
Quotes about the Loss of a Mother
Losing a mother or mother figure means the world is going to feel very different. The following quotes about the loss of a mother attempt to put words to this feeling.
- “Her absence is like the sky, spread over everything.” – C.S. Lewis
- “No matter what age… I’ll always need you mom.” – Unknown
- “Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality.” – Emily Dickinson
- “When death takes your mother, it steals that word forever.” – Mitch Albom
- “I never truly learned what the words ‘I miss you’ were until I reached for my mom’s hand and it wasn’t there.” – Unknown
- “My mother had a slender, small body, but a large heart—a heart so large that everybody’s joys found welcome in it, and hospitable accommodation.” – Mark Twain
- “Wherever a beautiful soul has been there is a trail of beautiful memories.” – Unknown
- “A mom’s hug lasts long after she lets go.” – Unknown
- “Grief, I’ve learned, is really just love. It’s all the love you want to give, but cannot. All that unspent love gathers up in the corners of your eyes, the lump in your throat, and in that hollow part of your chest. Grief is just love with no place to go.” – Jamie Anderson
- “I wish I had the power to take back every pain, worry and hurt that I ever gave you. I wish that I could just undo, all the moments that made you blue.” – Unknown
Quotes about the Loss of a Father
The loss of your father or the father figure in your life is scary and emotional. These quotes about the loss of a father relate to the bond you shared and how it may feel now that he has passed on.
- “Hold dear to your parents for it is a scary and confusing world without them.” – Emily Dickinson
- “Love is a bond that death cannot part. Gone from my arms, but still held in my heart.” – John Mark Green
- “Old as she was, she still missed her Daddy sometimes.” – Unknown
- “Your absence walks through the door every single day.” – Helen Lyon
- “Dads are the most ordinary men turned by love into heroes, adventurers story-tellers, and singers of song.” – Pam Brown
- “A father’s love is forever imprinted on his child’s heart.” – Jennifer Williamson
- “But she wasn’t around, and that’s the thing when your parents die, you feel like instead of going in to every fight with backup, you are going into every fight alone.” – Mitch Albom, For One More Day
- “Dad, wherever you are, you are done but you will never be forgotten.” – Conrad Hall
- “The loss of my father was the most traumatic event in my life – I can’t forget the pain.” – Frank Lowry
- “Say not in grief ‘he is no more’ but in thankfulness that he was.” – Hebrew Proverb
- “My father didn’t tell me how to live; he lived and let me watch him do it.” – Clarence Budington Kelland
Quotes for the Loss of a Brother
A brother is a very special person who holds an irreplaceable place in their sibling’s heart. If you have lost a brother recently, take solace in these quotes about the loss of a bother.
- “The years may pass but you will stay… as near and dear as yesterday” – Unknown
- “There’s no buddy like a brother. I miss you.” – Unknown
- “Your life was a blessing, your memory a treasure. You are loved beyond words and missed beyond measure.” – Renee Wood
- “I still don’t know how to look at my life without an inescapable absence of you.” – Chloe Frayne
- Like my strong body would miss my heart beating loud, I miss you Brother.” – Michele Melleen
- “Sometimes memories sneak out of my eyes and roll down my cheeks.” – Unknown
- “Because brothers don’t let each other wander in the dark alone.” – Jolene Perry
- “Everything I am, you helped me be.” – Unknown
- “Because I have a brother, I’ll always have a friend.” – Unknown
- Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?” – Terry Pratchett
Quotes for the Loss of a Sister
Losing a sister means losing a built-in best friend. The loss can take a toll and is a very emotional time for anyone. If you have recently lost a sister, or still feel her profound loss, these quotes for the loss of a sister can hopefully give you some peace.
- “My sister will die over and over again for the rest of my life. Grief is forever. It doesn’t go away; it becomes a part of you, step for step, breath for breath.” – Jandy Nelson, “The Sky is Everywhere”
- “Not always eye to eye, but always heart to heart.” – Unknown
- “If you have a sister and she dies, do you stop saying you have one? Or are you always a sister, even when the other half of the equation is gone?” – Jodi Picoult, My Sister’s Keeper
- “A sister is a little bit of childhood that can never be lost.” – Marion C. Garretty
- “There is no better friend than a sister.” – Unknown
- “My sister may not always be at my side, but she is always in my heart.” – Unknown
- “There’s something god has given us, that’s more than family; He’s placed a love for you, my Sister, deep down in the heart of me.” – Allison Chambers Coxsey
- “If you see a sunset, it’s me, smiling from behind it. If I go away far, and you see a star, if you find it, I’m inside it.” – Anna Williams
- “I’ll be seeing you, in all the old familiar places, that this heart of mine embraces, all day through.” – Billie Holiday, I’ll Be Seeing You
Quotes about Love and Loss
Love and grief go together in that one can not be without the other. These quotes about love and loss celebrate our special relationships and explore the profound grief one experiences when it or they are gone.
- “No one compares to you, but there’s no you, except in my dreams tonight.” – Lana Del Rey
- “Though lovers be lost, love shall not; And death shall have no dominion.” – Dylan Thomas
- “Your memory feels like home to me. So whenever my mind wanders, it always finds it’s way back to you.” – Ranata Suzuki
- “I think about you. But I don’t say it anymore.” – Marguerite Duras
- “At times in life you have to leave people where they left you.” – Angel Moreira
- “It’s terrible that one doesn’t love people forever.” – Iris Murdoch
- “Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.” – Kahlil Gibran
- “You can love someone so much…But you can never love people as much as you can miss them.” – John Green
- “And he hated himself and hated her, too, for the ruin they’d made of each other.” – Dennis Lehane
- “Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.” – Alfred Lord Tennyson
- “What the heart has once owned and had, it shall never lose.” – Henry Ward Beecher
Loss and grief is inevitable but, that does not mean you are alone. These 100 quotes about loss are proof of that.
It is important to remember that the grieving process is unique to each person. Do what feels right for you by choosing to surround yourself with good people, move your body, get some extra rest or to just be gentle with yourself.
If you do wish to honor someone who has recently passed in your life consider visiting their resting place or their favorite place in the world and leave a floral arrangement with a condolence card as a symbol of their love.